Pages

Sunday, September 5, 2010

West Africa- A week in Benin

During my stay in Ghana I decided to take advantage of the region and explore other countries nearby.  Given that my host family had relatives in Benin, and that Laura's daughter was from Togo, they were able to arrange people to take me across the Ghanaian border into Togo, and then Benin.  Mama Laura was very protective of me so she wanted to make sure that I would be taken care of every step of the way!

With the help of a few people, I successfully made it across the Togo border and then headed straight to Benin where I would meet "Auntie V".  It was quite helpful to have someone to meet me especially given that people in Benin only speak French.   Auntie V (I don't even remember her actual name) and her husband picked me up when I arrived late at night.  I definitely lucked out by having them as my host family given that 1) her husband was in the ministry of tourism 2) they had a guest house, and 3) they were so caring and thoughtful, treating me like family.  When I arrived we discussed my plans for the next few days in Benin and they did a great job of mentioning sites that I already wanted to see.
My wonderful host family in Cotonou, Benin
On my first whole day in Cotonou they had my driver (they organized their motorcycle driver to be my personal driver for the week) show me around the city.  Later on in the day, Auntie V's husband organized a boat trip through a stilt village nearby called Ganvie.   This entire community, positioned about 10 feet above Lake Nokoué, go about  their daily life on water.

          
We stopped at a local restaurant and souvenir shop in the water village for some drinks.  It was a fun area but I found myself spending most of the time with a kid and his little pet monkey outside the restaurant.  I can never resist those monkeys! 

The next day I went to the coastal town of Ouidah.  First I was hesitantly taken to the Temple of the Sacred Python.  Before I stepped foot inside the small enclosure, I was expecting that a few pythons lived in this temple.  I was unpleasantly surprised at the site of dozens of pythons roaming around.


Somehow I was convinced to hold one...
From the Temple of the Pythons my guide took me to the infamous "Route d'Esclaves" to see one of the most well known West African Slave trade sites.  The walk through a dirt pathway to the site was interesting, full of many monuments and sculptures to commemorate the slaves kept there.  The actual monument for Route d'Esclaves was very powerful and a truly beautiful site up close.

                         



Our last stop of the day was the voodoo market in Ouidah.  Prior to coming to Benin I had heard a lot about the voodoo culture in West Africa so I was curious to see what exactly they sold in the market.  You really could find anything at this market.  I apologize in advance for the somewhat disturbing images.  To gross you out even further, if you are wondering if the market smelled bad then the answer is YES!
The voodoo market was the perfect way to end a great day although I definitely did not buy any souvenirs from the market.

I spent the weekend in Cotonou with my host family.  I was taken in for measurements since they wanted to buy me a traditional African dress to take home.  We went to a family friends communion party at a beach venue one day and walked around the city the other day.  Overall it was a great way to end an awesome 5 days in Benin.  I was so fortunate to have the opportunity to be shown some of the country through the eyes of locals.  Apart from the dress I brought back one unwanted souvenir: a second degree burn from the motorcycle exhaust which resulted in a nice rounded scar.
"Motorcycle tattoo"
My "African Lady" dress, as Mama Laura says!


No comments:

Post a Comment