Pages

Monday, September 13, 2010

Farewell to my new African home: Ghana

The kids were very excited to see me when I was back home from Benin.  During my last couple weeks in Ghana I spent most of my time at the school.  I began running the 3rd grade class and then teaching math for the older grades as well.  Since I was getting to know all of the kids better I knew that when it came time to leave that it would be tough to say goodbye!

During my last weekend Noah took me to the Volta region on the southeast coast of Ghana for a day trip.  Laura’s family is from the area and they have community projects running so it was nice to see where their family was from.  As with most coastal towns in West Africa, this was a slave trade site so we walked around the complex before heading back to Accra.

     

When my 6 weeks in Ghana came to an end I was so sad to leave.  Although it took a few adjustments to get used to living in Accra I really learned to love the people and the place.   During my last week in Ghana I spent most of my time in Accra, doing all of my favorite things when I wasn’t at the school.  I had all of my favorite street foods, hung out with my friends on Queens Street, and finally met the lady who had been unintentionally waking me up every day since I arrived.  To make a long story short, every street vendor in Ghana will yell out the item they are selling.  On Queens Street, there was one woman who came down the street every morning at precisely 6:15 am yelling “Teaaaa Breaaaad”, and the scream perfectly echoed into my room.  Mama Laura and I laughed at this all the time so we decided to finally buy tea bread from her on my last day, telling Tea Bread Lady the story!  Side note: tea bread is a delicious semi-sweet loaf of bread that people typically eat with tea or breakfast food.

Since my flight was on a Monday night I was able to say goodbye to all of the school children before leaving for the airport.  It was sad to say farewell to Mama Laura and my new family but I knew that I would see her back in Colorado after my trip!

I will definitely miss all of the wonderful people that I met in Ghana!

     



Walking with some of the teachers and students down Queens Street
As I said farewell to Ghana I was very excited, and slightly nervous, to go solo on the final leg of my trip in Egypt!

No comments:

Post a Comment